How to Use
Shortcut Heat Exchanger Sizing calculates Log Mean Temperature Difference (LMTD), LMTD Correction Factor F,
Number of Shell in series required, Area of each shell and number of tubes. It also estimates Shell diameter.
To start using online tool provide following data.
- Heat Duty - Provide the overall heat duty for heat exchanger
- U Value - Provide an estimate of Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient (U). For various combination of shell and tube fluids, U Value
can be obtained from literature
- Temperatures - Provide Hot and Cold side Inlet, Outlet temperatures
- Tube Pass - Select Tube pass from drop down menu. For Single pass LMTD correction factor will be 1.
- Tube Length - Provide standard tube lengths eg In feet - 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 24, 30.
- Tube OD - Provide standard tube OD eg In inches - 0.625, 0.75, 1.00, 1.25
- Tube Pattern - Select tube pattern from square and triangular option.
Calculator will then calculate LMTD, number of shells, area per shell, tubes per shell and Shell ID.